The Incubator Project aims to support promising local leaders and organizations. Over an 18-month period, we will help build the capacity of 2-3 small, innovative organizations dedicated to sparking change for a more fair and just Brooklyn, especially those working to address racial justice.
AREAS OF FOCUS
The Incubator Project will support nonprofits, community groups, and community leaders working in one or more of the following areas of focus:
- Housing Rights
- Immigrant Rights
- Gender Equity
- Environmental Justice
- Criminal Justice
- Arts and Culture
- Co-working space for up to 2 staff members or volunteers per organization starting April 1, 2017;
- Use of copy and fax machine, telephone and voicemail services, internet service (organizations must bring their own computers);
- A stipend of up to $5,000 (to be used over 18 months) for legal fees, web development, meeting and travel costs, and other start-up costs;
- Use of a large conference room and kitchen;
- Access to topical workshops and skill-building opportunities.
SUBMISSION AND SELECTION CRITERIA
The Incubator Project will support organizations that:
- Have a demonstrated track record working on the Incubator Project’s focus areas;
- Have a demonstrated commitment to racial justice and a community-driven approach;
- Are led by directly affected communities and people of color;
- Have been in operation for at least a year;
- May or not be registered as a 501(c)(3), but have:
- A stable and committed board of directors or advisory board;
- An operating budget of $250,000 or less;
- Are closely aligned with the Foundation’s five defining values: Courage, Respect, Honesty, Collaboration, and Creativity.
Priority will be given, but not limited to, community organizations and leaders that are based in Crown Heights.
Please hold the following dates on calendars:
- Friday, February 10, 2-4pm - Open House at the Foundation’s offices at 1000 Dean Street, Suite 307. RSVP here.
- Tuesday, March 14; Wednesday March 15; and Thursday, March 16 - 30 minute interviews at the Foundation’s offices
How to Apply
The online application must be submitted by Tuesday, February 21, 2017